Monday, October 4, 2010

My First Blog

So I've been told for months that I should start blogging. Blogging, really? Who wants to hear me talk? Especially about the hot button topic of education? Well, I've folded to the pressure and am going to try this out. What will my first blog talk about? I don't know. I'm really just typing as I think.
Well, let's start with math. It's something I am comfortable with. As a former educator, and current math consultant, I feel that teachers often feel overwhelmed and under-educated about teaching math and math concepts. Whether this is a personal issue with math, or an issue with the curriculum they are trying to teach, being uncomfortable teaching a core subject cannot end well for students.
Students learn best, in my experience, when taught with passion. It is hard to be passionate about a subject you don't understand.
My advice? Ask for help...Even if you are a professional teacher, meaning someone with more than 3 years experience. Being able to ask for help is the first step. Take a college course. Most states require teachers to complete a certain amount of credit hours to be re-certified, so take a math class...Be open minded. Things are taught quite differently than they used to be. Things are even being taught differently than they were last year, so new teachers coming right out of college must be able to be open minded as well! Being able to meet these changes with an open mind may make things easier. I don't guarantee it, but it couldn't hurt! Training, training, training. I know the last thing you want to hear is that you should attend more training, but I really think quality training can be the difference between a positive and negative math year. This does not have to be done in the traditional way of someone coming in and talking all day. There are webcasts, blogs, teacher discussions, and of course meetings, just to name a few! And finally, having a quality program you believe in. I don't care which program it is (well maybe I do, but I won't insert the name this time). If you feel strongly about it, and teach it with passion, your kids are going to benefit.
So here it is. My first blog. Surprisingly it was fun! Please feel free to comment, ask questions, tell me something you would like me to talk about!

No comments:

Post a Comment